My kiddos are always asking for hands on science activities, even if it’s one we have done over and over like this Hovercraft Science experiment project. It almost seems like magic not science, and even though I have given them the scientific explanation they are still in awe of it! Who knew you could have so much fun with..a balloon, an old cd, and a cap from your dishwashing soap bottle?
If you like easy to prep activities and your kids love them to be really hands on you are going to want to do this one momma! Learning about energy, motion, force? You gotta give this a try…
Hovercraft Science Experiment Supplies
Hovercraft Science Experiment Directions
- Run a generous ring of hot glue around the bottom edge of your dish soap cap, quickly press it onto the center of the CD, over the hole
- Let the glue cool until it has hardened
- Slip the balloon over the cap. Your hovercraft is now ready to amaze the kids!
- With the balloon over it pull the cap upward
- Blow up the balloon through the hole on the other side
- Press your cap down until ready to let the hovercraft go
When you are ready to pull the cap up with the balloon still over it on a smooth flat surface and watch it glide across the floor!
This fun science project works because the force of the air expelling from the balloon creates a cushion of air between the bottom of the cd and the surface it is on, allowing it to glide just barely resting above it.
The kids will do this one over and over, and be tickled every time so be sure to keep these 3 items in your science kit for learning and just plain old fun!
Thank you for reading our Hovercraft Science Experiment post!
You might also like: