I love this time of the year because the holidays are coming up. There are some great Thanksgiving picture and chapter books to read with your children. There are some great titles here, it is meant to be a buffet of books. Pick and choose which books would be best to read in your homeschool. If there are certain books you don’t get to, they’ll be first on your list next year.
Learn about the Pilgrims, Native Indians and the Mayflower. This is a great time to teach your children the meaning of Thanksgiving and follow it up with some fun activities.
Thanksgiving picture books:
- Thanksgiving at Our House
- The Thanksgiving Door
- We Gather Together
- Squanto’s Journey: The Story of the First Thanksgiving
- Three Young Pilgrims
- Stories of the Pilgrims
- The First Thanksgiving (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
- The Thanksgiving Story
- Sarah Morton’s Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Girl
- Samuel Eaton’s Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy
- Tapenum’s Day: A Wampanoag Indian Boy In Pilgrim Times
- Cranberry Thanksgiving
- The Very First Thanksgiving Day
- This First Thanksgiving Day: A Counting Story
- Oh, What a Thanksgiving!
- Happy Thanksgiving, Biscuit!
- I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie (Picture Puffins)
- A Plump and Perky Turkey
- Over the River and Through the Wood: The New England Boy’s Song About Thanksgiving Day
- Pilgrim Cat
- This Is the Feast
- Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving
- How Many Days to America?: A Thanksgiving Story
- P is for Pilgrim: A Thanksgiving Alphabet (Alphabet Books)
- A Turkey for Thanksgiving
- Off to Plymouth Rock
- Thank You, Sarah
- Molly’s Pilgrim
Thanksgiving chapter books:
- Pedro’s Journal: A Voyage with Christopher Columbus, August 3, 1492-February 14, 1493
- Children of the Longhouse
- Thanksgiving on Thursday (Magic Tree House #27)
- 1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving
- If You Were At The First Thanksgiving
Which books are your favorite? Are there any other Thanksgiving books that you like to read to your children? Thanksgiving is a great time to slow down and enjoy this time with your family. While your spending that quality time together, baking, cooking, and playing games, take out a book and discover what exactly it is you are celebrating.
Have you seen the Gratitude Journal for Kids in the Freebie Library?