No matter what age your child is, reading aloud to your child is a great way to spend time with your family. There’s so much excitement in a great book when everyone can’t wait to find out what happens next. One of the rules at our house is that no one can watch a movie if there’s a book, you need to read the book first. This always provides a great discussion about the book and movie, 99% of the time the book always wins because the end up changing things that my kids don’t like. My oldest hates change.
Best Books to Read Aloud to Early Elementary Kids
- The Invention of Hugo Cabaret is a lovely book filled with suspense and it just kept us guessing. The book looks huge but it’s filled with a lot of pictures.
- The Call of the Wild was thoroughly enjoyed by my son, he loves dogs and wolves so he was very much into this story.
- The Indian in the Cupboard – we read all the book in this series because my son loved them so much, who wouldn’t love cowboys and Indians.
- Five Children and It –
- The Chronicles of Narnia – the best series ever, I love the Narnia books, and they kept us on the seat of our couch reading them, my son didn’t want us to stop, with the exception of The Magician’s Nephew which wasn’t a favorite.
- Charlotte’s Web – and any of the EB White Books are wonderful reads for your animal lovers.
- Mr. Popper’s Penguin – see what silly antics the penguins get up to as they are now in the city
- From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler – My son loved this mystery and loved reading about the MET
- The Phantom Tollbooth – I didn’t think my son would like this book but he really enjoyed it
- The Borrowers – this book as filled with suspense as the borrowers have to hide from the humans
- James and the Giant Peach – we love any book from Roald Dahl but this one was super fun and adventurous
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – a great story that looks at each child with faults as Charlie wins and deserves it
What are your favorite read alouds? Would you like to have one for your child?