Do you have an animal lover who loves turtles? Add this list of fun Turtle Books for Kindergarten to your reading list for your animal lessons.
Are you looking for more turtle-themed ideas? Check out my list of fun animal activities for kids.
There’s something about these fascinating creatures that capture the imagination of kids of all ages. And whether you’re looking for ways to teach science, reading, or art, there’s no shortage of turtle-themed resources out there to help you along the way.
This post may contain affiliate links meaning I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. Read my disclosure policy here.
Fun Turtle Facts for Kids
Turtles are fascinating creatures that children love to learn about. These slow-moving, shelled reptiles have been around for millions of years.
Here are some fun turtle facts that will surely capture your kids’ attention and imagination:
- Turtles are known for their hard shells, which protect them from predators. But did you know that a turtle’s shell is actually a part of its skeleton? It is made up of about 50 different bones!
- One unique feature of some turtle species is their ability to retreat their head and limbs completely inside their shell for safety.
- Turtles come in many different sizes, shapes, and colors. The largest species is the leatherback sea turtle, which can grow up to 6 feet long and weigh up to 2,000 pounds!
- Turtles are cold-blooded, which means their body temperature changes with the environment around them. This is why you often see them sunning themselves on rocks or logs to warm up.
- Some turtles can live for a very long time. The oldest known turtle lived to be over 190 years old!
- The diet of turtles can vary depending on the species. While some are carnivorous and eat insects, worms, and small animals, others are herbivorous and feed on algae, fruit, and other plants.
- Finally, did you know that the smallest turtle in the world is the speckled padloper turtle? Females only grow up to 10 centimeters long and males 6-8 centimeters. That’s just a little more than the size of a golf ball!
Learning about turtles can be both fun and educational for kids. Their unique characteristics and habits make them one of the most fascinating creatures in the animal kingdom.
Recommended Turtle Toys
Do you want your kids to appreciate turtles even more? Check out this collection of turtle toys for kids. I’m sure your child will love these!
Safari Ltd Life Cycle of a Green Sea TurtleTOYMANY 6PCS Realistic Sea Turtle Figurines, Plastic Ocean Sea Animals Figures Set Includes of Turtles, Educational Toy Cake Toppers Christmas Birthday Gift for Kids Toddlers5 Pieces Plush Turtle Set 12 Inch Stuffed Sea Turtle Mom with 4 Little Plush Turtles Soft Plush Stuffed Animal Toys Tortoise Hugging for Birthday Party Favors Easter, Christmas (Cute Style)NiHealth Push Pop Bubble Fidget Sensory Toy Sea Turtle Shaped Fidget Toy for Special Needs Stress Reducer Anxiety Relief Popper Game Board Silicone Squeeze Toy for Kids and Adults (Green)Big Eyes Stuffed Turtle Animals Adorable Cute & Warm Sea Tortoise Toys (28cm, Green)Tipmant RC Turtle IR Remote Control Tortoise Crawl Fake Electric Animal Toy Car Vehicle for Kids Birthday Gifts (Green)
Recommended Turtle Activity Kits
Want even more sea turtle activities? Grab this activity kit for more vocabulary cards, dot coloring pages, labeling worksheets, puzzles, and more.
Do you want another craft about turtles? Grab this cute clay turtle lagoon and create a sea turtle habitat!
Kids love learning about turtles and how they carry their homes on their backs. I hope you found a fun turtle book to read with your kindergartener.
Add any of these turtle books to your science lessons.
More Turtle Activities
Egg Carton Turtle Craft on Homeschool Preschool
Turtle Paper Bag Puppet Craft on Simple Everyday Mom