This post may contain affiliate links meaning I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. Read my disclosure policy here.
Homeschooling On The Go Damages MarriagesWhen I can’t communicate with my spouse, we struggle to stay on the same page with each other. It starts with little things and can (and will) eventually lead to bigger issues. I have noticed that when we aren’t lining up, our homeschool life gets wonky. It’s weird, I know, but it always falls to that. Why? We are all stuck with each other 24/7. We all need to be at peace with each other, not causing war. If Marty and I aren’t on the same page with teaching, whether it be for the day or week, the kids will see sides of us that are less than appealing. My fuse is short and I can’t give the best to my kids. Their school work will reflect it as well. If you homeschool, road school, or homeschool on the go like us, find time to reconnect with your spouse. The kids being with you constantly can be exhausting but don’t let it damage your marriage (and it can whether you notice it immediately or not).
Simple Ways to Reconnect While Homeschooling On The Go
- Take a trip to a local library. Let the kids enjoy story time, a STEM project, or simply play a game on the computer. Find a little spot on the floor and whisper to each other. It’s more fun than you think.
- Play a board game (or card game) after the kids have gone to bed. A couple of our favorite games (which are small and portable) are – Qwirkle, Jaipur, Blokus, Sushi Go, Starfluxx, Cockroach Poker, etc.
- Hire a babysitter or find a family member to watch the kids for you, whether it’s a day date or evening date.
- If going out isn’t an option due to location (or money) – find a local attraction that is kid friendly. Some even have kid drop offs. Don’t be nervous to use kid-sitting areas like those in IKEA. Marty and I have had some wonderful conversations while slowly walking around IKEA with a shopping cart.
- One of my all time favorites (whether at home or on the road) – rent a Redbox movie and enjoy snuggling on the couch or in the bed, just the two of you. We always rent two, one for the kids and one for us. That way the kids won’t bother us and we don’t always have to wait until they fall asleep. We have night owls so staying up past them can be difficult.