Paper Plate Animal Cell
Are you looking for an easy and fun way to teach your children about animal cells? Look no further than this paper plate animal cell craft!
Not only is it fun, but it’s also educational. Before your kids start cutting and pasting, brush up on what an animal cell is and its functions. Keep reading to read more about what you need to know about an animal cell and the instructions on how to make this animal cell craft!
If you like this activity, check out more activities that focus on biology in my list of Human Body Activities for Kids.
This post may contain affiliate links meaning I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. Read my disclosure policy here.
What is an Animal Cell?
Animal cells are the basic building blocks of all creatures. Each cell performs vital functions that keep an organism healthy and functioning.
Animal cells produce energy, maintain homeostasis, act as structural supports for tissues, and help transport molecules throughout the body.
It has a nucleus, which contains genetic material – DNA, mitochondria which produce energy, and other organelles like the endoplasmic reticulum and Golgi apparatus that are responsible for making proteins. The membrane around the outside of the cell regulates what comes in and out of the cell.
Their functions include transporting nutrients into the cell, using energy from food molecules to make ATP (energy) molecules, making proteins from amino acids, removing wastes from inside the cells, and reproducing themselves through mitosis.
In addition to these basic functions, some cells may also be specialized for specific tasks like producing hormones or storing fat in your body.
Isn’t it amazing all it can do in this tiny cell?
Grab this animal cell coloring worksheet to learn the names of the organelles.
Recommended Animal Cell Books for Kids
It will be a great help if you have resources that you can depend on during your lessons. So if you are preparing for your science lessons, grab these amazing biology books! Studying animal cells will be fun, easy, and exciting with these!
Think-A-Lot-Tots: The Animal Cell: Science Books for Babies, Toddlers, and KidsThe Animal Cell and Division Biology for Kids Children’s Biology BooksBiology for Curious Kids: Discover the Wondrous Living World! (Curious Kids, 1)
Recommended Animal Cell Learning Kits
Your child will love your animal cell lesson if you have these engaging activities for them to try! Get them now and have fun!
GiftAmaz Animal and Plant Cell Anatomy Model, Soft Felt, Early Cell Biology and Life Science STEM Toys, Classroom Teaching Aid, Educational Learning Activities STEM Toys Gift for Kids Ages 6+Learning Resources Cross-Section Animal Cell Model, Soft Foam, Early Biology, Classroom Teaching Aid, Grade 4+, Ages 9+Cytosis: A Cell Biology Board Game – Science Games about Organic Compounds, Chemistry – Educational Board Games for Adults, Kids, Teachers – Science Classroom – Family STEM Gift by Genius GamesLearning Resources Giant Magnetic Animal Cell, Classroom Supplies, 4 Piece Animal Cell, Ages 9+A Little Cell Biology (A Little Science)Animal Cell Anatomy Coloring Book: Animal Cell Anatomy Coloring Workbook for Kids Boys Girls. New Surprising Magnificent Learning Structure For … Students & Teachers. Vet Tech Coloring Books.
Paper Plate Animal Cell Craft
This paper plate animal cell craft can help reinforce how each organelle works together to keep an animal alive and functioning properly. While doing this fun and colorful activity, your kids will begin to visualize each organelle like mitochondria, ribosomes, lysosomes and so on.
Paper Plate Animal Cell Supplies
• Paper plate
• Pipe cleaner (purple)
• Cotton balls or pom poms (orange and yellow)
• Foam sheets (orange, yellow, sky blue, green, and red)
• Thick paper yarn (blue)
• Black pen
• Glue stick
• Acrylic paint (orange)
Caydo 2400 Pieces 1cm Pom Poms, Multicolor Small Pompom Balls with 100 Pieces Wiggly Eyes for Kids Arts and Crafts Projects Valentine’s Day DecorationsBright Creations Eva Foam Sheets (4 x 6 in, Pack of 96)Mandala Crafts Sky Blue Raffia Ribbon for Gift Wrapping Ribbon – 100 Yds Raffia Natural Ribbon Bulk Packing Ribbon Raffia String – Twisted Paper Ribbon for Crafts Weaving
How to Make the Paper Plate Animal Cell?
Once you’ve gathered all the supplies you need, you need to paint one side of the paper plate.
Cut out one egg shape and a small circle then glue them together.
Time to add some details!
If you are wondering what these zigzag-shaped are, these are pipe cleaners attached to an oval-shaped cut-out.
Cut out another shape! This time, it’s a bean-shaped piece and three french fries!
Put the pieces together! And attach some yellow and orange cotton balls, too.
For the finishing touch, add some details and decorations!
Now, your paper plate animal cell is finally done! Great job!
Paper Plate Animal Cell
Your animal cell lesson will be super fun and exciting with this paper plate animal cell craft!
- Paper plate
- Pipe cleaner (purple)
- Cotton balls or pom poms (orange and yellow)
- Foam sheets (orange, yellow, sky blue, green, and red)
- Thick paper yarn (blue)
- Black pen
- Glue stick
- Acrylic paint (orange)
- Time to start this colorful animal cell craft! The first thing you need is a paintbrush and orange acrylic paint. Color the top side of the paper plate until you completely cover it with orange paint. Let it dry
- While waiting for the paper plate to dry out completely, cut out an egg-shaped piece from the orange foam sheet and a little circle from the red foam sheet. Paste the circle piece on top of the egg-shaped piece. It will look like a boiled egg that has been split in half vertically. Yummy!
- Time to add some details! You can do this by drawing roots around the red circle.
- Get the pipe cleaners cut it into three parts. Make zigzag lines out of them.
- Make three oval-shaped pieces from the green foam sheet. Attach the zigzag pipe cleaners on top of these green oval pieces so you'll have three sets.
- From the blue foam sheet, cut out a mango-shaped piece, and three french fry-shaped pieces from the yellow foam sheet.
- Start gluing the pieces you've prepared to the paper plate you painted earlier. Then attach some yellow and orange cotton balls, too.
- Cut out 1.5 to 2 inches of the blue paper yarn. Prepare 7 pieces and glue them around the largest orange piece.
- Add more details by drawing tiny dots using a black pen.
- For the finishing touch, glue a string of blue paper yarn on the edges of the paper plate. You can add more decorations if you like.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This paper plate craft provides kids with a hands-on way to learn about animal cells while having fun at the same time!
Understanding what an animal cell looks like and how it works will help them better understand biology concepts in school now—and later when they take more advanced science classes in high school or college.
So get out those paper plates and start crafting today! Your kids will thank you for it later!
More Human Body Activities
Anatomy Activities for Elementary Students
Human Body Crafts for Elementary
DIY Heart Pump by Tina’s Dynamic Homeschool Plus
Human Body Unit – Brain & Nerves by My Joy-filled Life