This fresh citrus playdough recipe is a great way to give a boost to a morning that has started off slowly with droopy little eyes and restless hands. Let your littles start their day with 15 minutes of play with this essential oil infused play dough and It will get their little minds stimulated and ready to focus on other things.
You can also use it throughout your lessons to reinforce what you are teaching in a fun and deliciously scented way!
There are so many ways to enjoy play dough, add letters and other toys to make it educational.
Build houses and sets for characters from your favorite stories.
Recommended Play Dough Toys
You can create and build, mold and shape it into anything you want. So many hours of fun.
How to clean up play dough
Some people might shy away from playing with play dough but the mess is definitely worth it.
Play on a surface that is easy to clean up, like a good table that is easy to wipe down. And make sure you’re not on carpet because yes, little specks or huge ones will stick into the carpet.
If you have to do it stick a plastic table cloth underneath. I also enjoying using a large clump of play dough to stick to the ever so many small pieces that break apart so we don’t lose any more than we need to.
Citrus Refresh Playdough Ingredients
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 T. Coconut oil (or vegetable)
- 1 cup salt
- 2 T. cream of Tartar
- 1 orange or tangerine peel grated
- 8 drops each:
- Vetiver essential oil
- Wild orange essential oil
- Tangerine essential oil
Optional: orange food coloring or soap colorant
- Combine flour, water, oil, salt, and cream of tartar in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir continuously until mixture starts to clump in the center on your spoon. This part usually takes about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vetiver, wild orange, and tangerine essential oils- stir well to combine.
If desired add food coloring and mix.
- Grate orange/tangerine peel with a fine grater into your playdough mixture, it gives a tiny bit of texture but plenty of additional good smell!
- Remove playdough from pan and place on a floured surface, allow it to cool until it is comfortable to the touch.
- Knead for 2-3 minutes to incorporate all your color and essential oils, the dough will loosen up and become a softer texture after kneading.
- Store in an airtight container when not in use.
You can use your playdough as a manipulative for counting…
Stamp in it for letter and sight word practice…
Or just for general fine motor skill building.
Thank you for visiting our Citrus Refresh Playdough post!