If you have any felt laying around, they’re a wonderful material to craft with, this pumpkin felt craft is great fall project for your kids to complete. I love working with felt because you can create great projects with bright colors and it’s durable. I’ve made some felt food and felt dinosaurs and my kids just love them. They’re great for story boards and you can easily store them.
Felt Pumpkin Hand Puppet Craft Supplies
Life Glow DIY Polyester Soft Felt Fabric Squares Sheets AssortedCCbetter Mini Hot Melt Glue Gun with 25pcs Glue SticksFiskars 5 Inch Non-stick Titanium Softgrip Detail ScissorsBememo 200 Pieces Pipe Cleaners Chenille Stems 6 mm x
- Begin by cutting out the pumpkin shape. An easy way to do this is place your child’s hand down and trace around it but rounding out the curves as you go. Cut out two of these shapes, so you have both the front and the back of your puppet. Set aside.
- Create the face of your pumpkin using the black craft felt. Cut out shapes of your choice that will be used to craft the face. We opted for simple triangles and a jagged mouth.
- One last detail to cut out is the stem of the pumpkin. A piece of brown felt works perfectly. Just cut in the shape of a small rectangle and angle the top.
- Glue the crafting felt to the face of the pumpkin and the stem at the top. You can now line the edge of one cut out with glue (the cut out you haven’t used yet) and place the face on top of it. Remember not to put any glue along the bottom of the pumpkin as this is where your hand will go.
- Press the two pieces together so they are secure. Add a curled piece of green pipe cleaner to the top of the pumpkin to look like a vine.
Your pumpkin puppet is now ready to be used. You can create your own face with different shapes if you’d prefer. Instead of a puppet you could just create the one side of the pumpkin and then make different face shapes to keep it as a busy bag for your toddler or preschooler to play with on their own.