These are our must-read Christmas books each year. I try my best to make it through the list, I read the Christmas Carol every other year or at least try to find an audiobook version that I can play for the whole family. I feel so guilty because my oldest received the most read aloud time and now I’m split between his siblings, I can’t do it as much.
I start at the end of November and start borrowing the books from the library so things might now be available as I need them, this way I have a lot of back ups to choose from.
Christmas Picture books:
These are some of our favorite picture books for Christmas. I was able to find everything at our local library, thank goodness.
- Cranberry Christmas – We also love the book Cranberry Thanksgiving, one of our favorites
- The Night Before Christmas
- Great Joy
- A Small Miracle -a wordless story
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas – anything from Dr. Seuss is magic, we love the original movie.
- The Remarkable Christmas of the Cobbler’s Sons
- Christmas in the Country
- The Twenty-Four Days Before Christmas
- The Polar Express – we always follow up with the movie and last year we were able to complete a Polar Express lapbook that I found online
- Trouble at Christmas
- Find The Gifts on The Twelve Days of Christmas – a look and find book
- The Snowman
- A Story a Day – all the December stories
- The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree
- The Christmas Knight
- A Christmas Like Helen’s
- Christmas Trolls
- The candle in the Window
- An Orange for Frankie
Christmas Read Aloud Books:
- A Christmas Carol – we read the unabridged version for the first time when my son was in the 5th grade and he loved it, I’m so glad because now he gets all the scrooge references and he still repeats ba humbug.
- The Nutcracker and the Mouse King – I love the nutcracker story and I’m looking forward to sharing with my youngests.
- Father Christmas Letters – from JRR Tolkien, we’re reading it this year while my son is working his way through the Lord of the Rings series.
- Christmas Every Day
- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever – a fun read we read this together last year, I’m hoping to go through the picture book with my two littles this year.
- The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
- Hannah’s Bookmobile Christmas
- Christmas Day in the Morning
- Box of Delights
- Christmas with the Savages
What books will you be reading this year for Christmas? I love the holidays, take a break from your regular homeschool routine, make gifts or crafts, bake some cookies and enjoy this time with your family.